Connect with us

Entertainment

Avatar set to reopen production in New Zealand after shutdown due to coronavirus

Published

on

Avatar set to reopen production in New Zealand after shutdown due to coronavirus

Production on the Avatar sequel is set to reopen in New Zealand after shutting down in March due to the coronavirus.

Producer Jon Landau shared a shot from production showing off a look from the forthcoming sequel, which will be the first of four for the record-setting motion picture.

‘Our #Avatar sets are ready – and we couldn’t be more excited to be headed back to New Zealand next week,’ he wrote on the social media site. ‘Check out the Matador, a high speed forward command vessel (bottom) and the Picador jetboat (top) – can’t wait to share more.’

ALSO READ: The Avatar sequel shares behind the scenes photo as they celebrate wrapping filming for the year

Avatar set to reopen production in New Zealand after shutdown due to coronavirus

Filmmakers are still targeting the second sequel’s planned release date of December 17, 2021 in spite of progress lost after they had to close up shop two months ago as countries around the globe adopted different strategies to battle the novel virus.

Director James Cameron, 65, told Empire earlier this month that he and the crew were looking to pick up the pace upon their return to the set after the lockdown put ‘a major crimp in [their] stride.’

Cameron, who was back at his home in the luxe locale of Malibu, California, said that the production schedule for New Zealand was delayed amid the shutdown and that he and his colleagues were ‘trying to get back to it as quick as we can.’

He said that to their advantage, ‘New Zealand seems to have been very effective in controlling the virus and their goal is not mitigation, but eradication, which they believe that they can do with aggressive contact tracing and testing.’

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending